A creative and fulfilling place to work
There are many opportunities to get involved with MOCA Jacksonville, whether it’s working at the Museum, participating in our internship program, or volunteering in a variety of areas.
MOCA lists all available positions on this website, but applications must be made through the University of North Florida job portal. Please check back for employment opportunities in the future.
Job opportunities will remain posted until positions are filled. Candidates may be contacted for interviews, however, due to the high level of interest in positions, MOCA Jacksonville does not respond to all applicants. Calls and emails are not accepted regarding the status of employment applications.
MOCA Jacksonville is a registered 501©(3) nonprofit organization and an equal opportunity employer. UNF is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action institution.
- Read the position description.
- Click on the link that follows the description. (Quicklink should take you directly to the listing)
From the main Job Portal Search (https://www.unfjobs.org/)
- Click on Search Postings.
- Under Department, choose MOCA.
- Click on Search.
- Click on the position you are seeking.
- Develop and maintain curatorial department, exhibition and collection related budgets.
- Coordinate exhibition schedule with Management staff, subject to the approval of the Director, and in conjunction with the approval in input of the Board of Trustee’s Collections and Exhibitions Committee.
- Supervise the Registrar in the management of shipping and receiving of all art objects, including incoming loans, traveling exhibitions, and loans to other museums.
- Supervise installations, deinstallations, and reinstallations of all exhibition space and supervises personnel involved in those activities.
- Review gift proposals from artists and potential donors, present recommendations to the Director and the Collections and Exhibitions committee.
- Train staff as required to impart art handling skills, professional museum related skills, and safety procedures.
- Schedule will include working nights and weekends due to events.
- A Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in a directly related area of specialization and four years of experience directly related to the job functions; or a Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university in a directly related area of specialization and six years of experience directly related to the job functions.
- Masters degree in art history with specialization in 20th and 21st century art; PhD preferred.
- Experience curating exhibitions, collections management, demonstrating aptitude as well as administrative and managerial skills Portfolio of scholarship in the field of modern and contemporary art, particularly public programming and publications.
- Demonstrated aptitude in administrative and managerial skills. Proven leadership experience in developing and executing strategic goals, and leading and managing staff and volunteers.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Knowledge of professional procedures of handing works of art.
- Excellent organization and time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work with Development on grant and sponsorship proposals. Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel and Outlook) and experience with relational databases and collections management software.
To apply, follow the quicklink here https://www.unfjobs.org/postings/9497
MOCA Jacksonville is looking for a Museum Educator to implement and support educational initiatives to serve the Museum’s mission and audiences with particular focus on the school tour and outreach programs.
Program assistance may include participation in one or more of the following:
- School Tours: Facilitate school tour programs based on Museum Exhibitions and Florida State Standards. Assist with material prep, set up and classroom maintenance.
- Outreach: Participate in community outreach opportunities. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: set up, art making facilitation for families, promoting museum exhibitions, programs and membership, supervision of volunteers, and attendance reporting. Must be available nights and weekends. Position requires travel (generally local)
- Art Camp: Provide instructions in art making activities for ages 4-14. Art Camp runs during the summer, winter, spring, and during Teacher In-Service days.
- Adult Education: Provide occasional adult tours on Third Thursday tours monthly and provide artwork/exhibition content knowledge during Exhibition openings.
- Must be available for a minimum of 20 hours per week (Mon – Fri). Hours will range in the weekdays from 8am-3pm (variable per needs of museum), but the emphasis of this position is on the flexibility to work nights and weekends as needed.
- Candidates must have a Bachelors in Art Education, Education, Art, Art History or a related discipline
- Minimum 1 year experience working with children in an educational setting
- Demonstrated effective written and oral communication skills
- Ability to enforce museum specific etiquette with students
- Ability to work collaboratively with all constituent groups, including students, teacher, museum staff and visitors
- Must have a flexible schedule that will allow for some fluctuation due to school, event or museum variants
- Must have reliable transportation
- Cannot be a current UNF student
- Experience teaching in a classroom setting
- Experience in a variety of art making skills including drawing, painting, ceramics, and sculpture
- Experience in the arts or in cultural advocacy
- Experience with children with Special Needs
- Proficiency in a foreign language desirable. Spanish or Sign Language preferred.
To apply follow the quicklink here: https://www.unfjobs.org/postings/8935
The Accounting Assistant, under the direction of an Assistant Director or above, will assist with the administration of processes and/or programs. This is part-time work performing Accounting and HR functions at the Museum of Contemporary Art Jacksonville, a direct support institution of UNF. Work collaboratively with MOCA and university staff to ensure department success. Incumbent must be able to anticipate project needs and discern work priorities to meet established deadlines.
Finance & Accounting:
- Ensure cash handling internal controls and PCI compliance requirements are followed by all MOCA departments
- Review deposit paperwork from all departments and forward to management for approval
- Follow-up and resolve any deposit paperwork issues by next business day
- Ensure that all deposit and gift certificate logs are accurate
- Process checks received daily through remote deposit capture system
- Prepare cash deposits for bank courier weekly pick-up
- Prepare check requests for Administrative invoices received and forward to Deputy Director or department manager for signature. Ensure that all back-up documentation is received and correct
- Review p-card transactions and send out email reminders to p-card holders for outstanding expense report
- Assist in the reconciliation and preparation of the weekly change orders for NOLA MOCA and Administration/Operations
- Generate month-end departmental reports for management review
- Audit travel expense reports and forward to management for approval
- Track and ensure payment processing for all institutional memberships, subscriptions and periodicals
- Prepare invoices and monitor accounts receivable subsidiary ledger, as needed
- Handle vendor inquiries/questions and perform reconciliations, as needed
- Assist with annual budget preparation, as needed
- Assist with audit preparation, as needed
Human Resources & Payroll:
- Attend all training for Oasys and HR processing
- Maintain confidential financial and HR information
- Enter and maintain position descriptions and recruitment postings in Oasys
- Act as point of contact for open recruitments and schedule interviews as requested
- Prepare all personnel action forms for the Deputy Director’s approval
- Setup and maintain employee parking access and billing
- Ensure payroll deductions for employee parking are updated as needed
- Audit and enter bi-weekly departmental time for NOLA MOCA
- Ensure all timesheets are submitted by OPS staff
- Coordinate onboarding of new staff including ordering business cards, name badges/desk plates
- Update organizational charts and the staff directory as needed
- Other duties assigned by supervisor
High school diploma and two years of experience directly related to the job functions. Directly related college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience
- Preference given to candidates who meet the required qualifications and also possess the following:
- An Associates degree and three years of experience directly related to the job functions.
- The ability to create and maintain spreadsheets and databases
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks, Access and PowerPoint
- Experience in using and/or training on a computerized accounting system, to include the ability to create queries and reports
- Familiarity with Financial Edge and Raiser’s Edge, a plus
- Knowledge of federal regulations and Florida Statutes regarding tax exempt organizations.
- Experience with cash handling
- Good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work independently
- Excellent interpersonal skills both in person and by phone
- A fantastic customer service ethic and high expectations for quality
- Ability to manage multiple projects and work assignments
To apply, follow the quicklink here https://www.unfjobs.org/postings/9449
General Office Responsibilities: Assist the Executive Director in the delivery of the Museum’s programs and services and adhering to the policies, goals and objectives of the organization.
- Assist the Executive Director and senior leadership with day-to-day organization of office, internal and external communication of all kinds, prioritizing work, calendar and scheduling arrangements.
- Working with senior staff, books travel arrangements and itineraries; arranges logistics for meetings on and off-site; schedules and reschedules meetings for Executive Director.
- Maintain calendar and processes expense reports.
- Organize and coordinate office operations and procedures in order to ensure organizational effectiveness and efficiency.
- File management for the Executive Director and Development functions.
- Assists with the preparation and presentation of grant applications and reports; statistical data collection, correlation and presentation of board materials; preparation of proposals and meeting materials.
- Maintain flowchart, event forms, and RSVP responses for events. Supervise mail services and mail distribution.
- Assist with mailings from all departments as needed.
- Ensures the organization works in an active partnership with Trustees, Volunteers and Donors.
- Maintain accurate records of Museum governance materials:
- By-Laws, Trustee terms, Trustee data, minutes, agendas, etc. Disseminate notices of meetings (full Board and committees) and track RSVPs. Arrange for catering services for meetings. Primary liaison for senior leadership to the Board of Trustees and Committees.
- Record the minutes of all Board and Committee meetings.
High school diploma and seven years of experience directly related to the job functions. Directly related college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
Preference given to applicants who meet the required qualifications and also possess the following:
Proven competencies in software applications and programs, particularly Microsoft Office Professional including Excel, Word, Publisher, Power Point, Access, and Outlook. Excellent word processing, database and file management skills. Excellent client service skills, and superior telephone manner. Excellent interpersonal skills, helpful friendly attitude. Must possess personal tact, discretion and good judgment. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Detail-oriented with ability to prioritize assignments and workload within limited time frames; ability to handle a demanding workload with limited direct supervision. Good working knowledge of office equipment and procedures including computers, photocopiers, printers, fax machines, mailing equipment; telephone systems, filing systems, etc. At least three years of experience in a people oriented environment or community non-profit sector (preferred). Experience working within a volunteer and/or non‐profit organization (desirable). Planning, organization, communications, and administrative management. Three to five years of progressively more responsible supervisory experience in the community non-profit services sector. (desirable) Experience in a people oriented environment or community non-profit sector preferred. Ability to maintain confidentiality, particularly with regards to donor giving.
To apply, follow the quicklink here https://www.unfjobs.org/postings/9519
dining room Coordinator
This part-time position ensures smooth and professional services for NOLA MOCA during normal dining hours and is responsible for the management of the wait staff, front of the house duties and all administrative work for the daily business as it relates to finance, close-out and customer service. Manages all aspects of dining room services with a goal of assuring a high standard of appearance, hospitality and service. Supervises and trains employees, confers with kitchen staff and other personnel to plan menus and related activities.
- Schedules personnel and supervises dining room staff to help assure proper service
- Plans dining room setup based upon anticipated guest counts and client needs
- Takes reservations, greets and seats guests, checks table reservation schedules and maintains reservations log
- Inspects dining room employees to ensure that they are in proper and clean uniforms at all times
- Receives and resolves complaints concerning food, beverages and service
- Serves as liaison between the dining room and kitchen staff
- Assures the correct appearance, cleanliness and safety of dining room areas, equipment and fixtures
- Checks the maintenance of all equipment in the dining room and reports deficiencies and maintenance concerns
- Responsible for maintaining front of house supplies and replenishing inventory
- Provides feedback on food and beverage sales trends to help inform effective menu planning
- Assists Executive Chef in the development of seasonal cocktail and special event menus
- Review financial transactions and monitor budget to ensure efficient operation and that expenditures stay within budget limitations
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university and two years of experience directly related to the job functions
- Level 1 Sommelier Certification (preferred)
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including oral and written communications
- Budget management and oversight experience
- Scheduling, payroll and point of sale experience
- Experience with tips and wages of wait staff
- Experience in handling Food Service Inspections and ability to maintain State of Florida Food Service standards
- Ability to multi-task, maintain composure & professional attitude during day-to-day operations
- Ability to properly use all office equipment including POS and work with Excel, Word, and other formats as needed
- Excellent organizational and follow-up skills with consistent attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to communicate well and manage people
To apply follow the quicklink here: https://www.unfjobs.org/postings/8965
NOLA MOCA. Servers are responsible for positive guest interactions while serving guests in a friendly and efficient manner. At all times, servers are expected to be attentive to our guest needs and making them feel welcome, comfortable, important and relaxed. Servers are expected to have basic cooking and ingredient knowledge.
- Prepares the tables, laying out napkins and utensils, making sure the condiments are refilled, performing all other preparation tasks
- Staying updated on current menu choices, specialties and menu deviations, knowing if the kitchen staff is running out of any items…etc.
- Handle the table bookings, direct customers to their tables, presenting menus, suggesting dishes, assisting in drink selection, informing customers about food preparation details,
communicating specific customer needs to the kitchen
- Maintaining proper dining experience, delivering items, fulfilling customer needs, offering desserts and drinks, removing courses, replenishing utensils, refilling glasse
- Prepare mixed drinks for service to your customers table
- Properly open and pour wine at the table side
- Obtaining revenues, issuing receipts, accepting payments, returning the change
- Performing basic cleaning tasks as needed or directed by supervisor
- Filling in for absent staff as needed
- Assisting with special events as needed
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous fine dining serving experience required
- Excellent oral communication skills required
- Positive interpersonal skills required.
- Previous bartending experience preferred
To apply, go to this quicklink https://www.unfjobs.org/postings/8844
catering and prep cook
- Prepares a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking in broilers, ovens, grills, fryers and a variety of other kitchen equipment
- Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures
- Performs other related duties as assigned by Sous Chef or Executive Chef
At least 6 months experience in a similar capacity. Cannot be a current UNF student.
A minimum of 2 years of experience in kitchen preparation and cooking.
To apply, follow the quicklink here: https://www.unfjobs.org/postings/8973
Accurately and efficiently cook meats, fish, vegetables, soups and other hot food products as well as prepare and portion food products prior to cooking. Also perform other duties in the areas of food and final plate preparation including plating and garnishing of cooked items and preparing appropriate garnishes for all hot menu item plates.
- Prepares a variety of meats, seafood, poultry, vegetables and other food items for cooking in broilers, ovens, grills, fryers and a variety of other kitchen equipment
- Assumes 100% responsibility for quality of products served. Knows and complies consistently with our standard portion sizes, cooking methods, quality standards and kitchen rules, policies and procedures
- Stocks and maintains sufficient levels of food products at line stations to assure a smooth service period. Portions food products prior to cooking according to standard portion sizes and recipe specifications
- Maintains a clean and sanitary work station area including tables, shelves, grills, broilers, fryers, pasta cookers, sauté burners, convection oven, flat top range and refrigeration equipment Prepares item for broiling, grilling, frying, sautéing or other cooking methods by portioning, battering, breading , seasoning and/or marinating
- Follows proper plate presentation and garnish set up for all dishes
- Handles, stores and rotates all products properly
- Assists in food prep assignments during off-peak periods as needed
- Closes the kitchen properly and follows the closing checklist for kitchen stations
- Assists others in closing the kitchen
- Attends all scheduled employee meetings and brings suggestions for improvement
- Performs other related duties as assigned by Sous Chef or Executive Chef
- During a declared emergency, this position may be required to perform specific job related duties at a designated off-site location or place of residence.
- Train new kitchen staff on menu preparation, food, safety & sanitation standards
- Learn new cooking techniques and food preparations as needed for menu updates Prepare daily specials with regard to available products, season, taste and to compliment and not utilize the same ingredients for additional specials
- Finish prep lists and have station set prior to service
- Maintain a neat and clean kitchen with any unused items put in their proper home before service starts
- Keep kitchen equipment clean, stored and handled properly at all times
- Keep kitchen clean and perform all closing duties in a timely manner before leaving each day
- Keep track of and make adjustments to all pars as needed
- Pay special and serious attention to any food allergy requests
- Accommodate all reasonable requests from guests
- Knowledge of requirements for catering small and large events
High school diploma and two years of experience directly related to the job functions. Directly related college coursework or vocational/technical training may substitute at an equivalent rate for the required experience.
To apply, follow the quicklink here: https://www.unfjobs.org/postings/9094
MOCA Ambassadors act as first point of contact for visitors to the museum at the guest relations desk and continued engagement throughout the facility. The MOCA Ambassadors play a key role in animating the museum’s mission which is to “promote the discovery, knowledge, and advancement of the art, artists, and ideas of our time”. MOCA Ambassadors act as docents and lead meaningful conversation in gallery discussions and push visitors to experience art from a range of perspectives. The Ambassadors are responsible for facilitating guided tours of the museum, supervising galleries, and engaging guests with additional information about current exhibitions and museum collections. MOCA Ambassadors at the guest relations desk are responsible for welcoming guests, handling admission and membership sales transactions, special event staffing, and managing general customer service needs. The program is open to all graduate and undergraduate students from any academic department but it is necessary that candidates have a passion for museums, art history, and contemporary art.
- Provide excellent customer service, greeting customers and orienting them to the museum
- Provide solutions to visitors and inquiries at the front desk in person, via phone and email
- Engage visitors with additional information regarding exhibitions and museum programs
- Assist with selling museum memberships to returning visitors
- Assist in conducting surveys and post program feedback
- Serve to facilitate museum wide but primarily in gallery learning experiences about the art, artists and ideas of our time
- Attendance at initial and ongoing Ambassador training sessions is required
- Supervise galleries to insure proper visitor guidelines are followed
- Engage guests with additional information regarding exhibitions and exhibiting artists
- Follow museum visitor check in policies and procedures
- Provide general museum information regarding upcoming exhibitions and events
- Keep an accurate register, manage daily admissions and the QuickBooks POS software
- Maintain records and spreadsheets of museum attendance for monthly, quarterly, and annual reports
- Maintain stocks of informational brochures for guests and rotate or replenish as needed
- Assist with selling Museum Memberships to returning visitors
- Currently enrolled UNF Student from any academic department.
- English proficiency
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Excellent communication skills and familiarity with public speaking
- Passion for museums, art history, and contemporary art
- Excited about facilitating dynamic interactions and conversations with the public, including UNF communities as well as children, youth, and adults
- Strong desire to work collaboratively with MOCA staff and fellow Ambassadors
- Highly reliable, dedicated, responsive to email communication, and punctual
- Ability to multi-task and be comfortable working in high traffic areas
- Able to commit to at least one year of docent work, choosing either 10 or 20 hour a week work schedule
- Willing to work evenings and weekends
- Must be proficient in Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, Outlook, etc) and working knowledge of QuickBooks, Access and PowerPoint
To apply, follow the quicklink here: http://www.unfjobs.org/postings/6150
Art Installer, Seasonal
Under the direction of curatorial staff, responsible for assisting in the installation of exhibitions presented in the museum, ensuring that the vision of the artist and curator is fulfilled.
- Installation and de-installation of exhibitions
- Preparation of artwork for exhibition and/or shipment/storage
- Installation of technology such as media players and monitors
- Safe and efficient crating, packing and transportation of artwork
- Efficiently and neatly painting gallery walls
- Maintenance of workspaces, tools and environment
- Working in a team environment with curatorial department
- Knowledge of contemporary art.
- Experience in the hands-on installation and de-installation of complex exhibitions
- Familiarity with presentation technology such as media players and digital programming display
- Proficiency in interior painting, drywall installation, taping, carpentry, etc
- Able to work as part of a team with have excellent communication skills
- On occasion be willing to work late evening and weekend hours
- Demonstrated practical experience in construction, fabrication and painting of exhibition assets, and appropriate work methods for utilizing necessary power tools
- Ability to work in physically demanding situations, including heavy lifting and working at heights, and flexibility to work out of hours where required
To apply follow the quicklink here: https://www.unfjobs.org/postings/6105
Part-time Security Guard
- Ensure the safety of employees and visitors and the protection of MOCA Jacksonville property and artwork
- Secure various posts on a rotational basis including galleries, access ramps, elevators, and other areas as assigned
- Inspect bags of visitors entering the Museum and staff leaving the Museum when necessary
- Inform visitors and staff of Museum policies and enforce them appropriately
- Monitor and maintain the flow of visitors in all galleries
- Report to chief of security and assist with documenting any incidents related to visitors, staff, or artwork
- Identify safety hazards, suspicious behavior, and potential problems and report to the chief of security and deputy director
- Assist with emergency evacuations
- Provide security at special events
- Perform fireguard duties as qualified.
- Read departmental memos and remain aware of all policy revisions
- Conduct periodic security tours of the Museum store
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Ensure the safety of artwork by patrolling galleries and reminding visitors not to touch works of art
- Perform opening and closing procedures, including locking all doors, checking all floors to ensure that no one is in the building, and arming/disarming the alarm
- Monitor the behavior of visitors at events and during Museum hours in an effort to provide a safe environment for staff and the public
- Report all incidents to supervisor immediately and keep a record of all incidents
- Handle some receptionist duties prior to the opening of the Museum, including monitoring front door, assisting guests, answering telephone, and monitoring deliveries
- High school diploma or equivalent
- One to two years of security-related experience, preferably in a customer service-oriented environment
- Class D security license
- Ability to stand for multiple hours
- Good communication skills and ability to interact professionally and respectfully with staff and visitors to enforce Museum policies
- Good computer skills
- Ability to remain alert at all times
- Professional, attentive, and reliable
- Must be available to work weekends
- Punctuality is essential
To apply follow the quicklink here: http://www.unfjobs.org/postings/3855
Applicants must complete an online application, as well as upload supplemental documents, at www.unfjobs.org in order to be considered for this position. Applicants who do not apply online and/or upload all the required documents will not be considered for this position. Once you submit both your completed application and uploaded documents you will receive a confirmation number. Keep the confirmation number for your records. If you have any questions about this position, please contact Heather Sloan at (904) 620-3226 or at email@example.com.